英语早读 | 一个天真小孩的来信
2020-09-18 15:13:20 作者: 匿名 浏览量:656次
Letter From a Child: Don’t Be Realistic!
一个天真小孩的来信:不要那么现实!
Imagine you received this letter from a child:
想象一下你收到了一封出自小孩之手的来信:
“Hello,
“你好,
I will become a president.
我将来会成为一位总统。
I know … I know.
我知道我会的。
You’re thinking I’m a naive kid. You won’t believe in me or in my ability to reach that lofty goal. You’re laughing at me and thinking I’m like all kids who say things they don’t really mean. But I want you to know one little thing.
或许你觉得我只是个天真的小孩。你不相信我有能力去实现这个高远的目标。你嘲笑我,你觉得我和其他小孩一样根本就不知道自己在讲什么。但是,我想让你明白一件事,一件非常微小的事。
I’m proud of my childish way of thinking. And I mean what I’m saying. I want and will be a president. You adults spoil your lives with your dull and dumb way of thinking.
我为我稚气的思考方式而感到自豪。我知道我讲的是什么。我想要而且将会成为一位总统。你们大人,被自己呆板愚蠢的思维方式搞得一团糟。
You adults spoil your lives when you become afraid of everything and play it safe.
你们大人,在害怕畏惧时就会保守行事,你们的生活就这样被毁了。
You adults spoil your lives when you worry about everything.
你们大人,总会对每一件事忧虑重重,你们的生活就这样被毁了。
You adults spoil your lives when you take it too seriously.
你们大人,总是那样严肃,你们的生活就这样被毁了。
You adults spoil your lives when you try and be Realistic!
你们大人,在每次尝试时总是太过于现实,你们的生活就这样被毁了。
I was born differently.
我生来就与你们不同。
I was born joyful to enjoy every moment.
我天生就很乐观,我享受生命中每一分每一秒。
I was born courageous to try everything.
我天生就很勇敢,我勇于尝试。
I was born persistent to get what I want.
我天生就很执着,我坚持不懈地去追寻我想要的东西。
I was born to speak from the heart.
我天生就很喜欢讲真心话。
And I’m not shy of telling everyone what I feel is really important to me.
而且,我一点都不羞于告诉所有人我内心最真实最真挚想法。
I don’t want to become realistic like you.
我不想变得和你们一样现实。
I don’t want to give up on my dreams.
我不想放弃我的梦想。
I want to play it big, not to play it safe.
我想要接受挑战,而不是平庸地生活。
I love and believe in the beauty of my dream.
我热爱并深信我的梦想之美好。
I will become a president.
我会成为一位总统的。
And the only way I know to achieve my dream is to stop being realistic.
而且,我知道唯一一条能够让我实现目标的方法就是停止讲究实际。
I know that one day I will grow up. But I will work hard top reserve my childish way of thinking and acting.
我知道,将来某天我会长大。但是我会努力保持我孩子般的思考和行动方式。
I don’t want to become realistic, if I have to spend the rest of my life at a job I hate.
我不想成为一个现实主义者,除非我愿意一辈子去做我不喜欢的工作。
I don’t want to become realistic, if I have to care about money more than I care about my family and the people I love.
我不想成为一个现实主义者,除非我爱财甚于关心我的家人和朋友。
I don’t want to become realistic, if I have to care about work more than I care about my well-being.
我不想成为一个现实主义者,除非我是个不关心自身幸福的工作狂。
I don’t want to become realistic, if I have to give up on my dreams too early and too easily.
我不想成为一个现实主义者,除非我是个轻言放弃自己的梦想的人。
I don’t want to become realistic, if I have to ignore the love and light in my heart.
我不想成为一个现实主义者,除非我是个对自己内心深处的爱和人性的光辉熟视无睹的人。
When I grow up, I will remain as foolish as you think I’m now.
当我长大了,我依旧是你们所认为的那个傻孩子。
When I grow up, I will remain as hasty as you think I’m now.
当我长大了,我依旧是你们所认为那个轻率的孩子。
When I grow up, I will remain as naive as you think I’m now.
当我长大了,我依旧是你们所认为那个天真的孩子。
When I grow up, I will become all the bad things you think I’m now, but I will not become realistic.
当我长大了,我依旧是你们所认为的那个一无是处的孩子,但我永远不会是一个现实主义者。
See this lamp that is lightening my room. It wouldn’t have been there, if Mr. Edison was realistic.
我房间里的这盏等照料了整个屋子。如果爱迪生是一个现实主义者的话,他就不会发明灯泡了。
I’m afraid to tell you that if I become as realistic as you are, I will achieve nothing!
假如我和你们一样那样现实的话,我担心我会一事无成。
Last night before I went to bed, I heard someone say to me,“Son, your heart is your one and only trusted friend and advisor. Listen to it”
昨天晚上睡觉之前,我听到有人读我说,“孩子,你的心是你唯一的导师和朋友。倾听它的呼唤吧。”
I love this advice. It makes a lot of sense to me.
我很喜欢这条建议。这句话对我来说意义重大。
OK, that’s enough for this letter. Now, I have a lot of work to do.
这封信就写到这里吧。因为我还有许多事要去忙呢。
Presidents should be busy, shouldn’t they?
总统应该是一个大忙人吧,对不对?
So, here is my final advice to you…
所以,我给你的最后一条建议就是:
If you want to become a president like me, don’t be ______(fill in the blanks).”
假如你也想成为像我那样的总统的话,请不要______(填空)。”
What do you think?
你觉得怎么样呢?